Creative best practices for display ads
To create a successful display ad, you need to break through the distractions to create an ad experience that is engaging and hits just the right tone.
- Design & layout (including logos)
- Call to action: CTA
Design & layout (including logos)
- Display ads should be 3-5 frames maximum in length.
- Ads should feature a high-quality logo on every frame if possible, and ensure it is legible at small sizes. This is critical and often requires revising your logo (.eps is preferable).
- Ad creatives should have clearly defined borders to ensure your content does not blend in with the web page it appears on.
- Make sure your message is concise, specific, and sticks with your reader.
- Use language that reflects your unique brand voice.
- Choose a target audience for each ad write specifically for that group. There isn’t enough space for all your main selling points, focus on one or two features that speak directly to that audience.
- Using a mix of property and lifestyle shots is suggested to “show” what a guest can expect and “imply” what they can hope to experience.
- Consider the sizes – The three main ad sizes are 300×250, 728×90 & 160×600, when choosing photos, please keep this in mind.
- Be cognizant that the total animation time should be under 15 seconds.
- Transitions should be related to the design.
Call to Action/CTA
- Warm colors like red, orange and yellow create a sense of urgency and have a higher click thru rate.
- Unusual button sizes and shapes increase clicks.
- Button language should convey value, create urgency and be direct. For Example: Explore Now, Sale Ends Today, Book Now!
- If your ad is based around selling a specific package, create concise offer language that provides an obvious value.
- According to Google, 85% of the time, the end frame (where the CTA appears) is all that the consumer will see, so make sure it is impactful!
For a free assessment of one of your digital marketing assets using our Digital Marketing Impact Analysis tools, fill out the form below to connect with one of our analysts who will follow-up to schedule a complimentary evaluation. You don’t have to be a current Cendyn client to take advantage of this offer.